Skip to main content

Before Pictures

Many people that walk into my classroom think that it is such a clean and organized room. Clean... yes. Organized... NO WAY!!

Here is what everyone sees my classroom as...


I love my room and I spent a lot of time rearranging it to make it fit my needs as well as my students' needs. It is a very functional classroom, aside from the organizational piece that is missing. Today I am going to share with you my "secrets". Are you ready for them? I must say that they aren't pretty. Be warned, you are about to see my BEFORE photos. 


 This area looks fairly organized, except for the fact that I don't use ANY of it. I ocassionally lift up the fabric to get the students' reading books and a binder here and there, but other than that, these shelves are taking up prime real estate. 

 One of my few cabinets that lock is filled with supplies that don't need to be locked up.

 Math centers that have never been used because I still have no clue how I want to organize them. Without organization I'm afraid they will turn into a complete mess so instead they just sit in the corner.

 Movies that I hardly ever watch with my class (maybe three a year) as well as old journals and folders.

 Two drawers that are my "junk" drawers. I know houses have junk drawers, but a classroom... really!?

 My math cabinets. Surprisingly, this is pretty nice compared to what it used to be.

 Under the sink, don't get me started. :-/

 My main source of supplies, all crammed into four small drawers.

 Two cabinets that house extra books or materials that aren't used.

 A bookshelf that I bought to solve the issue of limited space. I love how everything is stored away, but I hate the fact that I would like these things locked up since Lakeshore stuff is so pricey!!

 My desk. I try to have a little organization system in place. I think I outgrew it already.

 Yet again, another locking cabinet that houses materials that don't need to be locked up.

 My teaching easel on a good day. By Friday it's packed and today is only Monday.

I hope I didn't scare you with all of my disorganization. I know it isn't too bad, but to me I find myself wasting more time trying to find things then actually teaching. If I had an organizational system in place, it would make my life so much easier. Not to mentioned I would never loose anything again... maybe.




Comments

  1. Oh my word! You're SO BRAVE! I read this challenge on the clutter free classroom blog. I even considered taking it. And thought I can't possibly post BEFORE pictures!

    However, you've totally inspired me! I didn't have one "GASP" moment while reading, only..."yes, I, too have a space JUST like that". Totally relateable.

    So tomorrow I WILL take before pictures and join this challenge and be more organized and feel less stress in my classroom when all is said and done.
    Thanks for being brave and inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that I inspired you. Sometimes its hard to remember that we have more in common than we realize. As teachers we get very busy and organization is last on our list of priorities. Hopefully this challenge will get us organized so we don't even have to think twice about how we organize, we just do it. I am looking forward to your photos! :-)

      Delete
  2. Hi Jennifer!
    Your classroom is adorable! And you are so brave to post pictures of your closets and drawers. Good luck on your organizing adventure. I'm following you now, so I'll be watching your progress. :) Can't wait!

    Take care,
    Wendy

    Read with Me ABC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've spent a long time rearranging my classroom and now it's time to organize all the hidden parts. I was nervous to post my before pictures, but I knew that I wasn't the only one. It made me feel better. :-)

      Delete
  3. Great pics. Your classroom looks so neat and tidy. Mine is usually pretty organized except I am horrible about leaving things to pile up until the end of the day... thus my guided reading table/desk is usually a war zone. With my crew this year, I have a hard time keeping picked up as I really don't ever have a minute of downtime in which someone needs my help. I am trying to think of some ways to alleviate this issue.

    I am excited to see all of the ideas that you come up with!

    ❀ Kate
    Purely Paperless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have the dreaded piles. I try to clean up a little throughout the day, but it never works. By Friday my room is a mess!! Sometimes I let the piles go for weeks and then after I go crazy in the mess, I stay late on a Friday to clean it all up. Just to start all over on Monday again. ;-D

      Delete
  4. I agree--the "behind the scenes" stuff is where my problem lies too! I'll be doing a lot of the same... moving items into areas that make more sense.
    Karen :o)
    Mrs. Stamp's Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping it will make a difference in my room when I am finished.

      Delete
  5. You are so organized! Wanna come and do my room? ;)
    Michelle
    Apples and ABC's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The outside, yes. The inside, far from. I love to organize, but I never have the drive to do it.

      Delete
  6. Ooooo, can't wait to see the after pictures! I am so excited for you!

    Maria
    Kinder-Craze

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Not a Turkey

With Thanksgiving coming up, I am reminded of all the things that I am thankful for. I am thankful for my wonderful family and friends. I am also thankful for such a sweet bunch of second graders this year. I want to keep this post short and sweet so I will leave you with one of my favorite writing activities, I'm not a turkey. I'm sure there are many variations of this activity, but I just love it so much.  I love the creativity that comes out during this assignment. One of my favorites... I'm not a turkey. A turkey has feathers. I have hands. Can I ask you a question? Do turkeys go to school? No they do not. I am a student. I talk a lot. If you eat me, I can talk in your stomach. If you eat a student, you go to jail. Ohhh so creative!!

Plan With Me Sunday Blog Hop

Welcome to Plan With Me Sundays Blog Hop! This is my first time participating and I am so excited! I have been a planner all of my life and I absolutely love writing things down and organizing my life. This week I wanted to link up with Keeping up with Mrs. Harris and Kreative in Kindergarten because I love looking at other people's planners. Before I share with you my planner(s) I just want to let you know that I have THREE, yes three. One is my personal planner with my every day to do lists, chores, appointments, etc. My second is my business planner. I use this to organize things for work, my TpT store and blog, as well as my Etsy. The third planner is my Erin Condren teaching planner. I will not be sharing that planner this week, but you can learn all about it HERE . I will be sharing two of my planners here with you today. The first is my business planner. It is an Erin Condren planner in the vertical layout. I love this layout because it is broken down into thre

Team Member Gifts

Happy Monday! Today is my last day of summer vacation. I have meetings this week, but I am going in today to have a team meeting with my wonderful kindergarten team. This year I am team lead and I wanted to share my appreciation with some beginning of the year gifts. Teaching all day can be tiring and at the end of the day it's not unusual for some of us to forget to drink water. I have two HUGE water cups that I bring to work every day, but it never hurts to have more. I added vinyl to these mason jar cups for my team mates. Hopefully we will all stay hydrated this school year. The next part of their gift are some goodies from my favorite place... Target!! I just packaged up some of my favorite dollar spot finds and closed it up with some washi tape. This past week I went into my classroom and set everything up. I wanted to be able to relax this week and focus on lesson planning this week. I have been creating custom stickers for my Erin Condren lesson planner and I ha