Skip to main content

Back to School Goals


I go back to work in exactly one week. Next week is just for teachers and I don't actually see kids until two weeks from now, but the time is approaching very quickly. I wanted to start thinking of the goals I want to set for myself, both professionally as well as personally. It's very easy to get caught up in "teacher  mode". You all know how it goes, come in to work early and stay late. Take work home and stay up until midnight getting ready for the next day. My main goal is to STAY BALANCED. This will be my reminder every day to balance out everything that goes on in my daily life. Of course I have broken my larger goal into smaller, more manageable goals.

Goal #1: Make a schedule and stick to it.
This goal can be used for everything. Mainly, it's for my time that I spend at school. I start at 7:00 and end at 3:00. That's it!! If I don't finish something, there's always tomorrow. I can always spend 5 more minutes on cleaning my room or make one more extra copy. Do you know how many times those 5 minutes have turned into a couple hours? Do you know how many times that extra copy ends up in a drawer that never gets used? I was so much happier when I came to school on time and left on time. I used my time that I did have at school more wisely and I was a happier teacher. Not to mention a happier person!!

Goal #2: Finish four masters classes this year.
I am currently getting my masters. I have been pursuing it for over a year now and I must say that at times it can be very stressful. My program is completely self paced so it allows me to focus on what is most important... teaching. Self paced has its pros and cons. The pros are that there are no due dates. The cons... no due dates. I often put all of my masters work off until the last minute and then rush to get it done on a "timeline" that I created. I like to set myself due dates to finish a class and when I don't finish it by then, I feel stressed. This school year I want to devote 30 minutes a day to school work. That way it's doable, but still not overwhelming.

Goal #3: Stay crafty.
I have had many hobbies in the past, but none have really stuck with me the way crafting has. I love being creative and learning new crafts. This year I plan on incorporating crafting more into my teaching. I have already done so in the past with craftivities for my kids, but I want to take it to the next level. I have always wanted to create a scrapbook of my teaching, but never knew what I wanted to do. I didn't want years and years worth of scrapbooks that would just sit on a shelf and never be looked at. I love documenting lessons or activities that I enjoy doing with my class. I think I'm going to try to make a scrapbook that reflects lessons I want to remember as well as special memories we had throughout the year. I think would also be nice to have a special area for completed scrapbooks that I can share with future students.

Those are just a few of my goals this school year. Of course there are many more, but these are just a few of my top three goals. I would love to hear what your goals for the school year are. Feel free to link up and share with all your bloggy readers as well. Maybe your goal will help someone else!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Not a Turkey

With Thanksgiving coming up, I am reminded of all the things that I am thankful for. I am thankful for my wonderful family and friends. I am also thankful for such a sweet bunch of second graders this year. I want to keep this post short and sweet so I will leave you with one of my favorite writing activities, I'm not a turkey. I'm sure there are many variations of this activity, but I just love it so much.  I love the creativity that comes out during this assignment. One of my favorites... I'm not a turkey. A turkey has feathers. I have hands. Can I ask you a question? Do turkeys go to school? No they do not. I am a student. I talk a lot. If you eat me, I can talk in your stomach. If you eat a student, you go to jail. Ohhh so creative!!

Plan With Me Sunday Blog Hop

Welcome to Plan With Me Sundays Blog Hop! This is my first time participating and I am so excited! I have been a planner all of my life and I absolutely love writing things down and organizing my life. This week I wanted to link up with Keeping up with Mrs. Harris and Kreative in Kindergarten because I love looking at other people's planners. Before I share with you my planner(s) I just want to let you know that I have THREE, yes three. One is my personal planner with my every day to do lists, chores, appointments, etc. My second is my business planner. I use this to organize things for work, my TpT store and blog, as well as my Etsy. The third planner is my Erin Condren teaching planner. I will not be sharing that planner this week, but you can learn all about it HERE . I will be sharing two of my planners here with you today. The first is my business planner. It is an Erin Condren planner in the vertical layout. I love this layout because it is broken down into thre

Team Member Gifts

Happy Monday! Today is my last day of summer vacation. I have meetings this week, but I am going in today to have a team meeting with my wonderful kindergarten team. This year I am team lead and I wanted to share my appreciation with some beginning of the year gifts. Teaching all day can be tiring and at the end of the day it's not unusual for some of us to forget to drink water. I have two HUGE water cups that I bring to work every day, but it never hurts to have more. I added vinyl to these mason jar cups for my team mates. Hopefully we will all stay hydrated this school year. The next part of their gift are some goodies from my favorite place... Target!! I just packaged up some of my favorite dollar spot finds and closed it up with some washi tape. This past week I went into my classroom and set everything up. I wanted to be able to relax this week and focus on lesson planning this week. I have been creating custom stickers for my Erin Condren lesson planner and I ha